Gather the following supplies and have them in one place by 37 weeks. Most use a laundry basket to hold the items.
- Two sets of sheets and pillow cases
- Six towels and six washcloths
- Six receiving blankets
- Plastic mattress protector, disposable drop cloth or shower curtain liner
- Electric heating pad
- Large hand held mirror - this item is optional. Consider having it if you would like to see your baby being born
- Bright flashlight with new batteries
- One roll of paper towels
- Two plastic trash bags
- Laundry basket for dirty clothes
- One bottle alcohol and one large bottle hydrogen peroxide
- 4 ounce unopened bottle of olive oil
- Cotton balls and Q-tips
- Large box of Kotex Overnight sanitary pads
- Night Gown or Shirt to wear after your shower
- Plenty of fluids such as drinking water, orange juice, white grape juice, herbal pregnancy tea or red raspberry leaf tea, sports drinks, honey, yogurt, frozen juice cubes
- Food prepared ahead for family and birth team
- Optional items and ideas to help celebrate your birth day: relaxing and inspiring music, flowers, candles, incense, aromatherapy, etc. Bake a birthday cake!
In addition to the above items you will need a birth kit. This can be purchased from In His Hands or call 1-800-247-4045. Be sure to request the custom kit for Fruitful Vine Midwifery Service.
Instructions for making the birth bed:
When you feel pretty certain that you are in labor, make up your bed with the clean sheets that you have for after the birth. Place a plastic sheet over them. Now, make the bed with the second set of sheets right on top of the plastic, This will make the bed ready for the birth.